Designed in March 1946, the General Electric J47 (TG-190) was a turbojet engine developed by General Electric from the J35 engine, and first flew in May 1948. It was used in several types of military aircraft as more than 30,000 units were manufactured. Although production ended in 1956, the GE J47 continued in active service in the US military until 1978, when when the last Boeing KC-97J was retired from service. It was the first axial-flow turbojet approved for commercial use in the United States.
First run on June 21, 1947, the J47 engine was used to power B-47 Stratojet, the B-36 Peacemaker, and the F-86 Sabre. Overhaul life for the J47 ranged from 15 hours, in 1948, to a theoretical 1,200 hours in 1956. The J47-GE-23 was rated to run 225 hours between overhauls. As installed on the F-86F, it experienced one in-flight shutdown every 33,000 hours in 1955 and 1956.
Specifications of the General Electric J47-GE-23
Length: 144 inches (3.7 m)
Diameter: 39.5 inches (1.00 m)
Dry weight: 2,707 pounds (1,228 kg)
Maximum thrust: 5,800 pounds-force (26 kN) at 7950 rpm; 6,500 pounds-force (29 kN) with water injection
Specific fuel consumption: 0.98 lb/hr/lb
Compressor: 12-stage axial compressor
Turbine: Single-stage axial